Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference describe the practice, purpose and scope of the Inquiry.
The main job of the Inquiry is:
- to consider the extent to which institutions have failed in their duty of care to protect children from sexual abuse and exploitation
- to consider the extent to which those failings have since been addressed
- to identify further action needed to address any failings identified
- to consider the steps which it is necessary for institutions to take in order to protect children from such abuse in future
- and to publish a report with recommendations.
To do this, the Inquiry will:
- consider all the information which is available from the various published and unpublished reviews, court cases, and investigations which have so far concluded
- consider the experience of survivors of child sexual abuse by providing opportunities for them to bear witness to the Inquiry
- consider whether institutions failed to identify such abuse and/or whether there was an inappropriate response to allegations of child sexual abuse
- advise on any further action needed to address any gaps within current child protection systems on the basis of the findings and lessons learnt from this inquiry